Ingredients for Ghargey :
- 1 cup (cleaned & grated) lal bhopla/red pumpkin
- 1/2 cup gura/jaggery. [If you dont have jaggery use brown sugar]
- 1 cup wheat flour (dont use maida)
- 1 tsp ghee
- 2 tsp oil
- salt (to taste)
- 1/4 tsp elaichi powder
- Oil for deep frying the puri.
0. Warm the ghee in a pan and add the grated bhopla and stir well.
1. After a minute or so, add the jaggery and mix well. Remove all lumps. You can also smash banana (the elchi or the kerala variety) and add it to this.
2. Cook them till the water leaves the sides of the pan. [TIP: do not overcook it into a hard lump.]
3. Turn off the gas and add the cardamom powder and mix well.
4. Cool the pumpkin mixture and transfer to a second vessel. To this, add 2 tsp oil and a pinch of salt. Slowly add the wheat flour and knead the dough. Avoid adding water. Cover and let the dough rest for a few minutes.
5. Divide the dough into small portions and roll them out into round puris with a rolling pin.
6. Deep-fry them in medium hot oil until they puff-up and turn golden brown.
7. Enjoy hot. With shrikhand, its just yum!!
I know that folks expect pictures but the problem is the pooris got over very quickly