This entry has been dedicated to this awesomeness.
Over the dipavali weekend I made some Karanji, a traditional maharashtrian
delicacy--you'll know why if you've ever gone through the rigorous process of
cooking it from scratch, especially the poli making part.
Ingredients for Puran/saran/inner filling :
- 1 cup powdered cashew nuts
- 2 tsp poppy seeds
- 2 tsp charoli
- 1 cup mixed dry fruit/nuts (unsalted almond, cashew nut, pistachios)
- Half cup rava
- 1.5 cups sugar (this depends on the level of sweetness one desires)
- 1 pinch nutmeg powder
- 4 elaichi pods crushed
0. Powder the sugar till it does not have a grainy texture. Its easier to buy ready-to-use powered sugar but the proportions given above will vary slightly.
1. Dry roast the rava (and poppy seeds separately) to a golden color and keep aside to cool.
2. Roast the nuts in a tablespoon of ghee and keep to cool.
3. Take a large bowl and mix the roasted nuts, with one cup powdered cashew nuts, powedered sugar, poppy seeds, charuli, rava, nutmeg and elaichi powder. This is a dry powder filling which will stay for a few days. Also when deepfried it will automatically get cooked.
Note : The filling for this sweet dumpling can also include grated copra (dessicated dry coconut) but since copra has an irritating trait --it can smell rancid within 2-3 days reducing the storage shelf-life, I dont use it.
Ingredients for external dough cover:
- 1 cup maida
- 1 tsp ghee (butter)
- salt (one pinch)
- water and 20ml warm milk for mixing the dough
- 2 tbsp cornflour and half cup ghee
The dough will have to be prepared atleast an hour before use.
0. Add 1 tbsp HOT ghee to 1 cup maida and mix well. This will make the karanji cover crisp.
1. Add little warm milk while kneading the dough with required water so the dough will be soft and rise well.
2. Then add a pinch of salt and knead well for 5 minutes. Cover well and set aside.
Additional Notes : In a small cup mix 2 tbsp cornflour in half cup ghee for later use.
0. Cut some dough and roll-out three polis.
1. Take the first poli and apply the cornflour+ghee mixture all over this poli and lay the second poli on top and apply cornflour+ghee on it and cover it with the third poli.
2. Now roll all three poli's tightly but with a light hand, taking care that they dont break during the process.
3. Cut them into small oval pieces.
4. Take one oval and roll out the poli again, taking care that its not too thin in the middle. Place the prepared stuffing in the middle of your poli.
5. Fold it in half and roll the corners of the puri inwards. It should be sealed properly, else the stuffing will become burnt sediment while frying.
6. Deep fry it till it becomes golden-brown or you can bake it in a pre-heated oven for 10 minutes at 100 degrees Celcius. Serve it hot or cold.
7. The karanji can last for 7-8 days if stored in an air tight container.