SVAKSHA is a computing professional who has published papers, spoken at conferences and is an active FOSS contributor from India. An autodidact technologist, she crafts code with cross-sectional interests in computational science, ML and pure Science.
- Publications and technical talks presented at conferences :: http://svaksha.com/pages/Publications
- Technology list :: http://svaksha.com/pages/Technology
FOSS is the bedrock of the OpenAccess, OpenScience and OpenData movements and she has worked with and contributed to the following projects:
- Github :: https://svaksha.github.io/
- GitLab :: https://gitlab.com/u/svaksha
- NotABug :: https://notabug.org/svaksha/
- Bitbucket :: https://bitbucket.org/svaksha/
- Launchpad :: http://launchpad.net/~svaksha
- OpenHub :: https://www.openhub.net/accounts/svaksha
■ JULIA ✶ Contributor & Developer
- Julia.jl , Creator & Maintainer, 2013Sep―Present :: Curated decibans of Julia language packages with useful information about related language resources as part of OpenData efforts.
- 2013Jun22 :: Organized a one-day Julia-language workshop by Viral Shah the core-developer, CIS-India.org, Bangalore, India.
■ Software Carpentry ✶ Instructor training
- The first Indian resident to complete the 14-week Software-Carpentry instructor training program to become an instructor on 2014Sep18.
- Tasks included teaching short lessons online, co-wrote the SQL setup page for the 2014-08-21-kiel workshop that was merged into the (erstwhile) 'bootcamp' repo via this commit .
▐ PYTHON ✶ Contributor
- Pythonidae , Creator+Maintainer, 2014Apr―Present :: Curated decibans of scientific programming resources in Python as part of OpenData efforts.
- 2013 :: Re-booted the Pyladies-BLR python-dojo (weekly) sessions - details are available on the github repo .
- 2012Dec16 :: Organized a one-day Pandas workshop and sprint , sponsored by the PSF and lead by Chang She (Pandas core-developer), New York - read the full report here .
- Mailing List owner and administrator of the diversity-private (2009-Present), PyLadies-NYC (2012-Present), and Pyladies-BLR (2013-Present) mailing lists.
- 2011-2015Dec :: Moderator of the conferences mailing list.
▐ UBUNTU ✶ Contributor
- Ubuntu-Women , Founder, 2006Jan―Present :: Designed, created, wrote and maintained the contents for the initial static HTML pages (which was used till 2012), including some wiki pages on the UW website wiki. Currently, the administrator for the UW mailing list and provide technical support and mentor women to participate and contribute to Foss.
- 2006Jun―2011Apr :: Ex-editor at Ubuntu-Fridge and was on the Ubuntu bug-squad team till 2008. Became an Ubuntu member on 2006Aug22 but did not renew the membership when it expired in 2008. The Launchpad account and an (old, unmaintained) Ubuntu Wiki Page contains archives of past Ubuntu contributions.
- Ubuntu-India , Co-founder, 2006Mar :: Left the team within a few weeks because of harassment , sexism and misogyny .
▐ LINUXCHIX ✶ Contributor
- 2005―Present :: Mailing list owner and administrator for the Newchix and Indichix mailing lists.
- Co-ordinator liason for the IndiChix website server repo .
- 2005Jul―Present :: Archana Raghupathy (Chennai), founded the LinuxChix-India (LC-IN) chapter in 2006 and in 2008 it moved to a new Indichix mailing list. We were featured in an article written by Frederic Noronha, for the Economic Times .
- 2005Jan―2010May :: List administrator for the Job-posts mailing list.
▐ THE SCRIPPS RESEARCH INSTITUTE ✶ Bioinformatics Developer Intern
- Worked on re-building the back-end architecture for an OpenAccess/OpenData gene annotation (bioinformatics) data retrieval and query service portal that served data with MongoDB in the backend. Speaker at Pycon-CA 2012 , Toronto.
▐ GOOGLE CODE-IN ✶ APERTIUM ✶ Technical Co-Mentor
- Technical co-mentor for teenage school students whose technical work was verified and validated for the Hindi language translation tasks and provided mentoring for technical tasks related to Indic language scripts and Apertium.
▐ GOOGLE SUMMER OF CODE ✶ SYSTERS ✶ Student Developer Intern
- Wrote Python code for the Patches, Release and Testing Automation Project for Systers , a US-registered non-profit organisation for Women in Computing.
▐ KDE-WOMEN ✶ Contributor
- 2007Mar―2010May :: List administrator for the KDE-Women mailing list.
▐ DEBIAN ✶ Contributor (Localization)
- 2005Oct :: Wrote a Sanskrit (SA) language locale, available in the Debian package “belocs-locales-data” and also in package “locales (version: 2.3.5-6)”.
✶ Technical Interests
- Algorithms, AI, automation, biotechnology, computational science, cognitive science, data-science, FOSS, HPC, machine learning, NLP, neuroscience, scientific computing, web development, statistics, and science.
✶ Natural (HUMAN) Languages
- English, German, Marathi, Sanskrit, Hindi, Kannada, Tamil.
Thanks for reading !
Published on 2005 May 30 [Monday] by SVAKSHA