"svaksha" is a computer science professional and an autodidact FOSS contributor since 2005, who uses the synecdoche (bahuvrihi in Sanskrit) mononym " स्वक्ष ", meaning "beautiful eyes" (which philosophically characterizes void, null or zero) while working within the following FOSS projects::
JHBSPH ■ Data modeling
- Understanding infectious diseases to construct mathematical models to translate Epidemiological data into meaningful clinical policies.
THE SCRIPPS RESEARCH INSTITUTE ■ Bioinformatics Developer Intern
- Worked on re-building the back-end architecture as a flexible plugin for a gene annotation (bioinformatics) data retrieval and query service portal that served data with MongoDB in the backend. She gave a talk about it at Pycon-CA 2012, Toronto.
PYTHON ■ Contributor
- Re-started the Pyladies-BLR weekly python-dojo sessions in 2013. Details and information are at the github repo: https://github.com/svaksha/pyladies-dojo.
- Organized a one-day Pandas workshop and sprint in NYC (2012), lead by ChangShe (Pandas core-developer) - read the full report here.
- Co-administrator of the diversity, PyLadies-NYC, Pyladies-BLR and conferences mailing lists.
GOOGLE CODE-IN , APERTIUM ■ Mentor
- Mentored students with Apertium installation issues, provided guidance for technical tasks and verified the translation quality for the Hindi language tasks during Google Code-In, held from Nov-2010 to Jan-2011.
GOOGLE SUMMER OF CODE, SYSTERS ■ Student Developer Intern
- Wrote Python code for the Patches, Release and Testing Automation Project for Systers, a US-registered non-profit organisation for Women in Computing. In 2012, her code was used and integrated by the new students with the upstream mailman code base.
DEBIAN ■ Contributor
- Wrote a Sanskrit (SA) language locale which is available in the Debian package “belocs-locales-data” and also in package “locales (version: 2.3.5-6)”; mentored by Christian Perrier in Oct2005.
UBUNTU ■ Contributor
- Founder of Ubuntu-Women (January 2006); for which she designed, created wrote and maintained the contents for the initial static HTML pages (which was used till 2012), including some wiki pages on the UW website wiki. Currently, she is the administrator for the UW mailing list and IRC channel, and also provides technical support and mentors women to participate and contribute to FOSS.
- She was also an editor at Ubuntu-Fridge from 2006-2011, helped with the Ubuntu bug-squad team till 2008. On 2006Aug22, she had applied and became an Ubuntu member but did not renew the membership when it expired in 2008. Here is an old, unmaintained Ubuntu Wiki Page and a Launchpad account which contains details of older Ubuntu work.
KDE-WOMEN ■ Contributor
- Was a list administrator for the KDE-Women mailing list from March2007 to May2010.
LINUXCHIX ■ Contributor
- Currently one-sixth of an administrator for the Newchix and Indichix mailing lists, she was also the Job-posts admin from Jan2005 to May2010.
- In July2005, Archana Raghupathy, of Chennai, founded the LinuxChix-India (LC-IN) chapter and two years later moved to our new Indichix mailing list; and were featured in an article written by Frederic Noronha, for the Economic Times.
- Bitbucket :: https://bitbucket.org/svaksha/
- GitLab :: https://gitlab.com/u/svaksha
- Github :: https://github.com/svaksha
- Launchpad: http://code.launchpad.net/~svaksha
IN THE PRESS
- Frederic Noronha's article for the Economic Times.
- 2009: An Open Source Business Resource: "Women in Open Source" by Cathy Malmrose.
You are what your deepest desire is ;
As you desire, so is your intention ;
As your intention, so is your will ;
As is your will, so is your deed ;
As is your deed, so is your destiny || ~ Upanishads ||
Svaksha is a helpful spirit who dedicates copious amounts of her personal time to various Foss projects, enjoys collaborative learning via online resources, hence helps the communities grow while fostering the spirit of sharing knowledge. Since the GNU-GPL philosophy was the inspiration for her to become a Foss contributor, she actively encourages and welcomes contributors working on all aspects of Libre software development.
This is her personal blog, aggregated on planets that allow full feeds, since FOSS software is just one facet of her life and her creative literary urge is inversely proportional to her dislike of blogging for publicity and site-hits, which is directly proportional to the degree of laziness that motivates her to musically annotate posts crafted with care, while ranting about "politic(ian)s and corruption or sexism and the terrible state of women in India", the violence we endure, all of which definitely need a lot of brain food. She takes Downes advice for bloggers seriously
Thanks to spammers, comments have been disabled, so feel free to use any of the following public modes of contact:
▪ Email :: svαksha ατ gmail døt com
▪ IRC :: svaksha @ major irc networks (time zone UTC+0530)
▪ Skype / Gchat :: svaksha
▪ Twitter :: http://twitter.com/svaksha
▪ Identica :: http://identi.ca/svaksha
▪ GitTip :: https://www.gittip.com/svaksha
▪ Conference Circuit :: http://lanyrd.com/profile/svaksha/
▪ G+ :: https://plus.google.com/u/0/113578342347990591936/
Thanks for reading.
॥ स्वक्ष ॥ svaksha
Published on 2005 May 30 [Monday] by SVAKSHA